Tree: 1. Essex Ennevers
Notes:Latitude: 51.5569139, Longitude: 0.1131528
The Mayes Brook, which rises north of Chadwell Heath, flows south-west, to Barking Creek. The name, recorded from the 16th century, and probably derived from a local family occurring about 1300, (fn. 25) seems to have been first applied to the lower reaches of the stream, south of Longbridge. The stretch through Goodmayes was known in 1456 and later as Heavywaters, a name still in use within living memory. (fn. 26) Below Longbridge the Mayes Brook fed the moat and fishponds of Jenkins, (fn. 27) south of which it divided into two branches, passing east and west of Upney, the name of which means an 'island' in the marshes. (fn. 28) The western branch is now mostly in culverts; the eastern feeds the boating lake in Mayesbrook Park.
From: 'The ancient parish of Barking: Introduction', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 5 (1966), pp. 184-190. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42722&strquery= GOODMAYES Date accessed: 03 May 2009.
Matches 1 to 1 of 1