The St Peters Church of England Old Burial Ground at Glebe, also known as Glebe Cemetery is situated on the north face of a hillside in the suburb of East Maitland. The Cemetery is among the first in the Hunter Region, and is considered to be of State level significance. The earliest monument date is Andrew Sparke (died 18/11/1830) but earlier unmarked graves are probable.
The title to the Cemetery was conveyed to Maitland City Council in 1994 from the Church of England Trustees. In 2000 a Conservation Management Plan was completed for the site, and an ongoing program of restoration has since commenced.
This website documents the first phase of this restoration program.
The project is a cooperative enterprise between the University of New England (UNE) and Maitland City Council. The website includes the results of detailed physical investigations into the cemetery, and was compiled by nine second year undergraduate archaeology students from the UNE.
The Glebe cemetery is a historical cemetery and is only operational for existing reservations.