Bully-Grenay is the name of the railway station (on the main Hazebrouck-Arras line) serving this village and Grenay, but the double name was generally applied to the village and the communal cemetery of Bully by the troops. The French Extension was made by French troops on the west side of the communal cemetery, and Commonwealth forces, who took their place in this part of the line in June 1915, buried in it until June 1916. The French extension contains 91 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. The British Extension, on the south-west side of the communal cemetery, was begun at the end of April 1916, and was used until October. From April 1917 to March 1918, (Plot II, Row E to the last row of Plot IV), it was very largely an artillery burial ground. At the Armistice, Plot VI, Rows A-C, had been completed, and the cemetery contained 595 graves. After the Armistice, Plots V (D-G), VI (C and D) and VII to IX were made when graves were brough in from isolated positions and small burial grounds on the battlefields east of Grenay. Three came from Grenay Churchyard, which had been damaged by shell fire and was closed. One came from the German Extension of Sallaumines Communal Cemetery.