Search
Last name:
First name:
Ennever & Enever family history & ancestry. Click here to return to the home page WJ Ennever (1869-1947). From the portrait by J Seymour R.A., exhibited in the Royal Academy.

Bromley House, St Leonard\'s Street, Poplar, London

Bromley House, St Leonard's Street, Poplar, London



 



Tree: 1. Essex Ennevers
Notes: The St Leonard's Street Workhouse
In 1861-3, a new Stepney Union workhouse was erected at the west side of St Leonard's Street, Bromleyby-
Bow. Designed by Henry Jarvis of Trinity Square, Southwark, it cost over £30,000 and was intended to
accommodate up to 800 inmates. The foundation stone was laid by James Charrington, Chairman of the
Board of Guardians and prosperous local coal merchant, at a ceremony on October 18th, 1861. He
recounted a history of the Stepney Union and children from the Limehouse institution sang Psalm 100. The
building opened on March 30th 1863 and local ratepayers were invited to inspect the premises and its gas
lighting.
The first Master of the establishment was initially chosen to be James Hall but the Guardians changed
their minds after hearing that he had been dismissed from his previous post because of drunkenness.
Instead, John Watson took up the post. On April 18th, additional works were carried out to prevent
inmates climbing over the workhouse walls at the south and escaping across the railway lines. The
workhouse location and layout and shown on the 1869 OS map:

The three-storey main building was constructed of brick and had a T-shaped layout with its main facadefacing to the south. At the centre were administrative office and the Master's accommodation, with maleand female accommodation in wings at each side. A dining hall and chapel were to the rear.

A separate hospital block was erected at the west of the workhouse.In 1868, the recently formed Metropolitan Asylums Board set up six new Sick Asylum Districts for thepurposes of providing hospital care for the poor on separate sites from workhouses. One of the newDistricts was the Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum District and comprised the area covered by the twopoor law unions. Soon afterwards, the new District erected a large hospital at Devon's Row in Bow towhich sick paupers from Poplar and Stepney were from then on admitted.Stepney was involved in several further reorganisations of poor law administrative areas. From 1921-5 itwas known as the Parish of Limehouse, then from 1925 a new Stepney Union was set up comprising MileEnd Old Town, St George in the East, and Whitechapel.

In 1922, several hundred Stepney unemployed stormed the building to protest against the rates of outdoorrelief in Stepney which were lower than those in the neighbouring Poplar Union.The buildings suffered bomb damage during the Second World War with the western part of the originalbuilding and an 1893 annexe being destroyed. After the war, Bromley House as it became known, wasused to house homeless families. The premises were closed down in March 1966 and demolished thefollowing month to make way for an elderly persons' home.

Source: http://www.workhouses.org.uk

OpenStreetMap

Latitude: 51.5018263, Longitude: -0.0259430



Census

Matches 1 to 1 of 1

   Last name, First name(s)    Census    Person ID 
1 CLEAR, Alison  1939Bromley House, St Leonard's Street, Poplar, London I1023
Copyright © Barry Ennever 2006-2017. All rights reserved. Information provided for personal use only (click here for terms of use/privacy policy).
Site powered by TNG, hosted by TSO.  See home page for site update information.